I absolutely love brown bananas! Most people can’t stand when their beautiful yellow bananas that you just bought at the produce market begin to brown. I, however, am the exception because this means it is time to whip up another loaf of banana bread!
Experimenting with my banana bread recipe is basically a hobby for me- I am always trying to come up with a new version and I think I have created my favorite recipe. This Banana Blueberry Beer Bread will knock your socks off! Everything is better with a little beer, am I right? Using a basic brown ale will really enhance the sugary banana flavor and the extra liquid from the beer creates the perfect loaf of fluffy, moist bread. The blueberry sauce takes this sweet, cake-like quick bread to the next level. It will make you wonder. Is it breakfast? Is it dessert? Does it matter?
Banana Blueberry Beer Bread
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg; whipped
- 1/3 cup butter (approximately 5 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 3/4 bottle of brown ale
- blueberry sauce
For Blueberry Sauce
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 cup sugar (2 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved into 1 tablespoon water
- Place blueberries in a small saucepan. Cover with water and add sugar and vanilla. Heat over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a low boil and blueberries just start to break apart.
- Add dissolved cornstarch to the saucepan and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Turn heat down and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- Mash bananas in a bowl until smooth.
- Melt butter and pour into bananas; mix well.
- Add the pinch of salt, baking soda, vanilla extract and the whipped egg into the banana mixture.
- Add the sugar; mix
- Add in the flour; mix well until completely blended together
- Add beer in slowly, 1/4 of the bottle at a time; the mixture will be a somewhat liquidy consistency
- Slowly pour the blueberries into the banana mixture until completely blended.
- Rub a 9 x 11-inch loaf dish with extra butter or shortening, if available
- Heat oven to 350°F and cook the banana bread for 55 minutes- 1 hour, or until the loaf is golden-brown; place a knife through the center of the loaf to make sure it comes out clean