Eat your heart out, dusty bowl of peanuts, there is a new bar snack in town- Hot Pickled Ring Bologna. Well, there isn’t anything really new about this bizarre fermented watering hole fare. Hot pickled ring bologna is a staple in many Pennsylvania coal region bars, often paired perfectly with a cold pint of beer. But, why not kill two birds with one stone by just soaking the bologna with a bottle of brown ale? Spicy, fatty and full of beer -sounds like the perfect snack to me.
Hot Pickled Ring Bologna with Beer
- 1/2 ring bologna, sliced into smaller rounds
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3/4 – 1 bottle of brown ale, depending
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Cut ring of bologna in pieces, about 2 inches long and place into a glass mason jar.
- Add crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic, cumin, and salt.
- Mix white vinegar over the bologna. Fill the rest of the jar with beer, which will equal approximately 3/4 to 1 full bottle of beer.
- Shake well, place the lid on the mason jar and refrigerate. Let the bologna sit for at least 2 days.