Imagine this- The warm flavors of juicy blueberries paired with the zestiness of juicy lemons. Now, put those flavors in a cupcake and you have a recipe for an amazing dessert! Is there a way you could make these soft confections even more delicious? Yes there is and its as simple as cracking open a bottle of sweet beer.
Sea Dog’s Blueberry Wheat Ale was my blueberry beverage of choice. Subtley sweet and always refreshing, this blueberry beer ale will make your cupcakes next level by creating a decadently moist texture and adding a hint of extra sweetness with help from the beer’s maltiness.
Decorate these sweet treats with gooey buttercream frosting and a dusting of lemon zest to complete your indulgent creation!
Blueberry Lemon Beer Cupcakes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (or can use oil or butter)
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup blueberry beer
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest for garnish
- 1 – 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Buttercream icing
- Preheat oven to 350° and line your cupcake tray with paper liners; set aside.
- Use a large bowl to mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the applesauce and egg with a whisk.
- Add buttermilk, blueberry beer, lemon zest mixture and lemon juice, and whisk well.
- Add the beer mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the batter into each liner, filling about 2/3 the way full. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let chill completely.
- Frost with buttercream and garnish with additional lemon zest.
- Pull up a chair, pour the extra blueberry beer into a glass, unwrap a cupcake and enjoy!