Chocolate Stout Cupcakes are the sweet cups of decadence that you will want at your St. Patrick’s Day party.
Stout really brought out the intense chocolate flavor you crave, but left the saccharinely sweet notes at the door. Don’t worry, I invited all of that sugary goodness in when I made the Baileys frosting. The fun part about icing is that you can experiment with so many flavors and giving this beer-filled cupcake a boozy icing just felt right.
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Baileys Frosting
For the Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 bottle stout beer
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
For the Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup Baileys
- Optional: Green sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the cocoa, sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the stout, melted butter, and vanilla. Beat in eggs slowly, 1 at a time.
- Mix in sour cream until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Divide the batter equally between muffin tins, filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 12 minutes and then rotate the pans.
- Bake another 12 to 13 minutes until risen.
- For the frosting: In a bowl with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy; slowly mix in the baileys. On low, slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar until creamy.
- Pour the icing into a pastry bag and top each cupcake with a swirl of icing.
- Sprinkle each cupcake with green sprinkles.